Friday, October 19, 2007

National Novel Writing Month: Prologue

In the next two weeks, I have to finish research on a book about undocumented immigrants and a book about the stock market. I need to continue my intensive study of "The Dark Tower" saga by Stephen King, which means reading another 4000 words or so of small text. I need to get a job. I need to see as many people as possible.

Because starting on November 1, I am going to monk out and write the shit out of my first novel. National Novel Writing Month. By my rough estimate, I need to write about ten pages a day, no breaks for weekends or holidays or long nights of high emotion with women I kid myself into thinking I love. I am trimming the excess fat out of my life. I am converting all the money I usually spend on club fees and iTunes into coffee and cigarettes. Lots of cigarettes. I've been holding off the inevitable addiction for as long as possible.

I hope to trace my progress on a day-to-day basis. If I miss one day, then I will miss another day, and then my whole plan will come tumbling apart. I must be strong. I am a ninja lurking in the shadows of the sea. I am a samurai warrior, hear me slash. I am a mongrel dog in the junkyard, making a living off scraps of food people throw into garbage cans. I am Shiva, the god of death.

I'll get better, I swear.

No comments: