Tuesday, October 30, 2007

National Novel Writing Month: Crutches

A few nights ago, I bought a pack of cigarettes. Except there was a two for one deal, and you know how much I'm trying to save money. Then, at 1 or 2 last night - just before the rundown market on 20th and Valencia shuttered its doors - I was craving cigarettes, but hadn't brought any with me, so I bought a pack. That makes three. Unconsciously, I've stocked up for the long month ahead. Cigarettes, coffee, the gym: these, my crutches, for advancing through a month of solitary confinement in the torrid realm of my imagination.

And yesterday I went to meet a new shrink. My first shrink worked at the on-campus Health center. Our meetings were weekly, life-affirming, and gratis. He was a quiet-faced man with non-judgmental eyes and glasses. This new one is a woman, age uncertain, beauty profound. Will writing the novel make me less crazy, or more? Will I drown in disappointment and sorrow, ascend to glory, muddle through?

I need eccentric characters, is what I need.

No comments: