Wednesday, November 7, 2007

National Novel Writing Month: 12,000

Almost a quarter of the way across the finish line, and a bit ahead of schedule too. 12,000 words is a long time for almost nothing to be happening, yet nevertheless I've almost managed it.

That's not true. If you could map my narrative with that cool machine they use for measuring the movement of tectonic plates, my story be one steady neutral line occasionally punctuated by gigantic shifts up and down (OH MY GOD THE WORLD'S ON FIRE! OH MY GOD WE'RE BEING GASSED! OH MY GOD ROFLMAO!) Oh well. Guess it's better to be over the top than nothing at all.

One thing I'm starting to notice - the first few days, I would just sit down and write and not worry so much about the word count. Now, I'm having this terrible watched-pot-never-boils thing where I'll write one paragraph, check the word count, be disappointed. Restrain yourself, Franich!

I think I've assembled a cast of characters.

No comments: